Tuesday 7 January 2014

What or Who is OzQube-1?

OzQube-1 is the name for a pico-satellite that is proposed to be designed and built as a DIY project, by a space enthusiast. It is going to be based on the PocketQube form factor. This means that it is very small as far as satellites go ( as small as 5cm³), and will not use expensive hardware.

Inspiration for this satellite came from Kickstarter, where I contributed to a project called Pocketqubeshop.com. This project showed me that it was possible to build a satellite for less than the cost of a TV. ( Launching it is another thing I'll go into another time). The Kickstarter campaign coincided with the first launch of several satellites using the Pocketqube form factor. The highlight for me was the $50sat , or Eagle2. This is a Pocketqube that was built for around $250 in parts* ( the original plan was for $50, but they opted for higher cost solar cells). This little bird has proven to be a solid, reliable platform, providing radio telemetry to radio amateurs around the world. It was a collaborative education project between Professor Bob Twiggs, ( the inventor of the cubesat and Pocketqube standards), Morehead State University in USA, and 3 radio amateurs. Have a look at the links page for more on $50sat.

It is the intention that OzQube-1 follows a similar path. The beacon and basic telemetry will be using the amateur radio bands, with an aim to make it accessible to anyone with a USB Software Defined Radio (aka USB DVB-T dongle from eBay) , some free software, and an antenna.

Now I am not an engineer, or someone that has had previous experience with building hardware for space. I'm currently an IT Professional, but I am definitely an amateur when it comes to the other skill areas required for building this craft, so I'll be learning a lot along the way. I have tinkered a bit with various mechanical and electronic systems, so I'm not completely in the dark about the challenge that lies ahead.

In addition to the amateur radio part of the craft, I've yet to formalise a plan for the main onboard computer that will function as the Command and Data Handling System, or any potential payload. I'll have more in future posts!